What To Do After A Slip And Fall Accident
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be wondering about your options. In many cases, these types of accidents may seem to be minor, and victims may believe they can resolve the situation relatively quickly and easily by filing an insurance claim. However, slip and fall accidents can involve multiple complex factors, and insurance companies will often try to minimize their payouts. These accidents can lead to surprisingly serious injuries, and victims may struggle to make a full recovery and address their financial needs, especially if disputes arise regarding who was responsible for an accident.
An experienced slip and fall attorney can help you understand your rights and options in these situations. At Vito & Dollenmaier Law, we can guide you through the process of filing an insurance claim, and we will work with you to negotiate a settlement that will fully address the damages you have suffered. If necessary, we can help you pursue a premises liability lawsuit against the owner of the property where your injury occurred. Our attorneys can level the playing field and help you get the compensation you deserve. Our goal is to give you peace of mind during what is likely to be a very stressful time.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Slip and fall or trip and fall accidents can lead to multiple types of injuries, including broken bones, back and neck injuries, and head injuries. These accidents are often caused by hazards on a property that the owner knew or should have known about but did not address in a timely manner. Some common reasons that slip and fall accidents occur include:
- Wet floors – Property owners must take the proper measures to prevent hazards that may be caused by slippery walking surfaces. Fall injuries may occur if floor mats are not used at a building’s entrances, if spills are not cleaned up promptly, or if warning signs are not provided when floors have been recently mopped or polished.
- Tripping hazards – Some common issues that may lead to trip and fall injuries include loose carpeting, improperly placed floor mats, uneven walking surfaces, and objects in walkways. Property owners must address these hazards in a timely manner to prevent fall accidents.
- Improperly Removing Snow and Ice – Serious injuries can occur when property owners fail to properly shovel snow and ice from sidewalks or parking lots. These falls can lead to broken bones, or in more serious cases, traumatic brain injuries.
- Poor lighting – If an area is not well-lit, it may be more difficult for visitors to see potential hazards. Inadequate lighting in stairwells, parking lots, or other areas can affect people’s safety, and failure to address these issues may make a property owner liable for fall accidents.
- Damaged sidewalks and parking lots – If outdoor walking surfaces are in disrepair, they can pose a significant hazard. Property owners are responsible for maintaining these areas and ensuring that they are safe for visitors. Cracks in sidewalks, potholes in parking lots, and other tripping hazards can lead to dangerous fall accidents and serious injuries.
- Dangerous stairs and stairwells – Property owners must take care to ensure that all stairways on their property are safe. This includes maintaining handrails, keeping the stairs free of debris, repairing damaged steps, and providing proper lighting. Failure to so do may lead to serious injuries or even wrongful deaths in fall accidents.
Contact Our Schaumburg Slip and Fall Injury Attorneys
Slip and fall accidents can be serious. If you have been involved in such an accident, you may be wondering what your next steps should be. An experienced personal injury attorney will know how to investigate your claim and gather evidence to support your case. The lawyers of Vito & Dollenmaier Law understand the laws that affect these types of cases, and we can help you determine the types of compensation you may be entitled to receive. Contact us today at 224-539-8821 to schedule a free consultation and learn more about how we can assist you.