Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents account for 14% of fatalities despite only accounting for 3% of the vehicles on the road. Accidents that do not end in a fatality often result in significant injuries, including:
- Ankle injuries
- Abdominal injuries
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
Lower extremity injuries account for 30% of motorcycle accidents due to the rider’s legs being unprotected and exposed. You also risk muscle injuries, burns, upper extremity injuries, and more.
Every accident is different, and you’ll need to work with aggressive Schaumburg motorcycle accident lawyers to help determine the cause of the accident and seek compensation on your behalf.
Note: Wearing a helmet can reduce the risk of head injury by 69%,
9 Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle crashes can happen for a variety of reasons. Some reasons are:
- Mechanical defect
- Left turning cars
- Visibility issues (motorists not seeing the motorcycle)
- Lane splitting
- Lane switching
- High-speed driving
- Operator inexperience
Preventative Measures to Reduce the Risk of Accidents
Tips to reduce the risk of an accident as a motorcycle rider include:
- Inspect and maintain your motorcycle to reduce the risk of a mechanical defect.
- Adhere to local speed limits.
- Do not lane split because it’s too easy to get in a vehicle’s blind spot.
- Always check twice before switching lanes.
- Take corners slowly and lower your speed.
- Never drink and drive.
- Pay attention to your surroundings, especially at stoplights.
- Avoid riding in bad weather.
If you’re aware of your surroundings and follow the tips above, you’ll be well on your way to lowering the risk of an accident.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
As Schaumburg motorcycle accident lawyers, we know that while only 11 of the 2,506 accidents in 2022 were motorcycle-related, they resulted in:
- 10 injured riders
- 13 total people injured
- 1 incident involving property damage
What To Do After A Motorcycle Accident?
While all types of motor vehicle collisions can be dangerous, motorcycle accidents can be especially devastating. Victims may suffer from severe injuries, including broken bones, spinal cord damage, road rash, and traumatic brain injuries. In addition to physical and emotional pain and suffering, motorcycle accident victims may also face extensive financial burdens, including medical bills and lost wages. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, you may be feeling overwhelmed and uncertain about where to turn. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Motorcycle accident claims can be complex, but the lawyers of Vito & Dollenmaier Law know how to build a strong case on your behalf and fight for the maximum possible compensation. Our attorneys can take action to hold the responsible parties accountable, and we will fight to make sure you receive the full and fair compensation you need and deserve. We will aggressively advocate on your behalf throughout the legal process, and we will provide the fast, effective response you need as you work to recover from the injuries you have suffered.
Liability for Schaumburg Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can often result in severe injuries. Motorcyclists have little protection against bodily harm in a collision, and they may suffer multiple types of injuries, even if they used a helmet or other safety equipment and took care to follow traffic laws and avoid unsafe behaviors. While motorcyclists will usually take care to protect themselves as much as possible, other drivers may fail to act safely. Motorcycle accidents may occur due to issues such as:
- Distracted driving – It is far too easy for drivers to fail to notice that motorcycles are traveling near their vehicles, especially if they are not fully paying attention to the road. Distractions such as talking or texting on cell phones, looking up directions on GPS devices, eating and drinking, conversing with passengers, adjusting the radio or other controls, reaching for objects, or daydreaming can take a driver’s focus off of the road, making it more likely that they will not see a motorcycle or be unable to respond in time to avoid a dangerous motorcycle accident.
- Reckless driving – Drivers may cause motorcycle accidents due to aggressive driving or other unsafe behaviors. These include speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, passing a motorcycle within the same lane, following too closely behind a motorcycle, and running red lights or stop signs. Reckless driving can be extremely dangerous, and drivers who put motorcyclists in danger due to their failure to follow traffic laws and share the road safely may be held liable for injuries that occur as a result.
- Intoxicated driving – Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs pose a serious danger to motorcycle riders. Drunk drivers will be more likely to lose control of their vehicle, or they may be unable to respond correctly to the movements of motorcycles or other vehicles, leading to dangerous accidents.
Local Emergency Services
If you or a loved one are involved in a motorcycle accident, the local emergency service numbers below can provide assistance.
Schaumburg Police Department
1000 W Schaumburg Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60194
950 W Schaumburg Road
Schaumburg, IL 60194
1024 N Meacham Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60173
1351 Wright Blvd.
Schaumburg, IL 60193
1601 Roselle Rd
Schaumburg, IL 60195
716 S. Plum Grove Road
Schaumburg, IL 60193
2207 Hammond Dr
Schaumburg, IL 60173
519 S Roselle Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60193
1375 E Schaumburg Rd #100
Schaumburg, IL 60194
405 W Golf Rd, Schaumburg, IL 60195
As your Schaumburg motorcycle accident lawyers, we’ll handle the ins and outs of local laws to uphold your rights. Illinois law allows for:
- 2 years from the date of the accident to file a claim
- Up to 5 years to file property damage claims
Illinois is an at-fault state, meaning that fault must be such that you cannot seek damages unless you’re less at fault than the opposing driver.
Understanding the Claims Process
If you or a loved one is involved in an accident, you’ll need to go through a standard claims process:
- Call 911 and seek medical care.
- File a police report.
- Contact a lawyer.
- Work with your lawyer to seek damages for your accident.
Your lawyer will walk you through the next steps in the claim process and fight for the compensation you deserve.
Do I Have a Case?
The best way to determine whether you have a valid case is to consult with an attorney. An attorney will review the facts of your case and help you find the best course of action to take.
If you do have a case, your lawyer can help you pursue damages, including:
- Medical bills, rehabilitation and other related care.
- Lost income from being unable to work.
- Future medical care, including procedures and any other care associated with your case.
- Property damage, including the cost to repair or replace your motorcycle.
- Intangible losses, such as disfigurement and loss of quality of life.
- Pain and suffering.
What Is My Case Worth?
The value of your case will depend on several factors, including:
- The severity of your injuries
- Your lost wages
- Associated medical expenses
Understanding the facts of your case, injuries and care can help a lawyer determine the value of your case.
How To Choose the Best Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Me
Motorcycle accidents can be catastrophic. The injuries sustained can last a lifetime. You should not have to bear the financial burden of your medical care, rehabilitation, and lost wages if the accident was caused by someone else’s negligence.
Schaumburg motorcycle accident lawyers can help you pursue the compensation you’re entitled to for your injuries. Choosing the right lawyer is key.
A few important things to consider are:
- Experience and knowledge. Does the lawyer have experience handling motorcycle accident cases? How long have they been practicing law? A lawyer with knowledge and experience handling motorcycle accident cases will know how to negotiate on your behalf and overcome obstacles that may stand in the way of a fair settlement.
- Reputation. Does the lawyer have a positive reputation? Can they provide references? Consider researching reviews from previous clients to get a better idea of what to expect if you work together.
- Availability. Does the firm have the resources and time to dedicate to your case? Will they be able to answer your questions or keep you updated on your case as it progresses?
How Can the Schaumburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyers at Vito & Dollenmaier Law Help?
At Vito & Dollenmaier Law, we understand that motorcycle accidents can be life-altering. You want to know that someone is on your side, fighting on your behalf, as you focus on the most important thing: healing. That’s where we come in.
Our clients are our top priority, which is why we provide the personalized experience you expect and deserve as you navigate this difficult and emotionally trying time.
We’ll ensure that you’ll be working with an attorney every step of the way as your case progresses and will fight to help you achieve the best possible outcome.
Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with our lawyers.