Rear-end car collisions are one of the most common types of accidents on the road. While they may seem minor at first compared to other forms of car accidents, these accidents can result in surprisingly severe injuries that can have long-lasting effects on those involved. If you have been in a rear-end car collision and are suffering from injuries, you would be wise to hire a qualified lawyer in Illinois to pursue compensation. This form of legal recourse is a wise decision for any injured individual interested in seeking compensation for their injuries.
What Are the Most Common Injuries in Rear-End Car Collisions?
- Whiplash – This is arguably the most infamous injury associated with rear-end car collisions. Whiplash occurs when the force of impact from behind causes the head to snap forward and backward in a quick, violent motion, causing strain to the muscles and ligaments in the neck. These injuries generally present as neck pain, stiffness, headaches, and dizziness. While whiplash is often considered a minor injury, it can lead to chronic pain and long-term problems if it is not treated correctly from the get-go.
- Back injuries – It may come as no surprise that the sudden jolt of a rear-end collision can cause significant trauma to the back. Herniated discs, spinal fractures, and sprains are commonplace in rear-end car accidents. These injuries can cause severe pain, limited mobility, and even nerve damage in some cases.
- Head and brain injuries – In rear-end collisions, the head can strike the steering wheel, dashboard, or window, leading to head and brain injuries. Concussions, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), and skull fractures are common in these accidents. Symptoms may range from mild headaches and dizziness to more severe cognitive impairments and memory loss. Prompt medical attention is crucial in diagnosing and treating head and brain injuries to minimize long-term effects.
- Facial injuries – The impact of a rear-end collision can cause the face to strike the steering wheel, airbag, or other objects within the vehicle. Facial injuries may involve lacerations, bruises, fractures, and dental damage. Depending on their severity, these injuries may require immediate medical attention and may involve cosmetic procedures to repair.
- Psychological injuries – Car accidents of all kinds can result in significant psychological trauma. People may experience post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, or other emotional issues, dramatically affecting the person’s quality of life.
Contact a Schaumburg, IL Car Accident Lawyer
Suppose you are suffering from injuries related to a rear-end car accident. In that case, the distinguished Cook County, IL car accident attorneys with Vito & Dollenmaier Law are excellent legal professionals who can help you. Call 224-539-8821 for a free consultation.